Everyone’s life and experience are unique, but reaching the decision to stop drinking is a pivotal milestone regardless of how you got there. You should be proud of your strength.
If you’ve decided to stop drinking, the easiest thing to do is to begin an alcohol addiction treatment program. The reason this is so highly recommended is that when you enroll in a treatment program at a recovery center, you’ll have the support of professionals who understand what you’re going through. Even though your friends and family members might be supportive, they won’t necessarily know how to best help you during this challenging time.
Make a Detailed Plan to Stop Drinking Today
Begin by thinking about all the triggers and social situations that have caused you to drink in the past. You must identify your own patterns in order to change them, and you need effective strategies that you can turn to when those situations arise. Often good coping strategies include finding a close friend or a sponsor that knows the details of your plan that you can call at any time.
Here are some easy ways to make sure your plan works:
- Ramp down slowly before going cold turkey – Take count and measure out your alcohol consumption first, and then slowly reduce the number of times you drink. This will reduce the likelihood and severity of withdrawal symptoms and allow you to think more clearly about your options. For a few people who struggle with addiction, this can be a permanent solution, but usually, the safest goal is to stop completely.
- Build mindful and engaging activities into your schedule to replace time spent drinking – It’s important to take care of yourself by having positive emotions and feelings associated with this change in your life. Start hiking, meditating, yoga, or any other pursuit that will make you feel engaged and aware of the present. Your happiness will allow you to make it through the harder days.
- Make sure you have a crew – You need a strong social support network to stop drinking, and this can be hard for some people. It may mean finding new friends, either through activities or addiction treatment programs.
Do I Need an Alcohol Addiction Recovery Program?
Your doctor may tell you that your plan to quit drinking won’t work without professional help, and in some cases, medicines that will keep you from experiencing the more dangerous withdrawal symptoms. But there are other clear signs that you need an alcohol addiction treatment program:
- You’ve tried and failed at recovery before or even suffer from chronic relapse in previous plans or programs
- You experience clear withdrawal symptoms when you go without alcohol, such as anxiety, insomnia, and nausea
- You feel that it is impossible to get through a day without a drink
If any of this sounds familiar, you should reach out for professional help. Don’t fall into chronic relapse.
Stop Drinking with Next Wind Recovery
We can help you reconnect with life and family again. Our evidence-based therapeutic treatments are built around social connections. From our therapists to other clients like you, we want you to feel supported and cared for.
We also recognize that treatment plans have to be personalized to match each client’s needs. Our outpatient programs are tailored to your life story and your goals for the future. Our intensive outpatient program (IOP) gives you:
- Flexible scheduling – Your treatment schedule will cause the minimum disruption to your life and employment. We want you to begin using the skills you learn immediately in the real world.
- Group therapy – Guided by experienced and empathetic professionals, our group therapy lets you learn real strategies from peers who are dedicated to the same battle you are. Positive affirmation and support from other clients are often the most valuable takeaways for people who successfully recover.
- Intensive individual therapy – Together with an expert therapist, you will delve deep into the causes of your substance use and any co-occurring mental health issues you may have. We want to heal the whole person.
Reach Out to Next Wind Recovery Today
It’s time to take back control and let yourself thrive. Call our professionals today at 201.331.6569, or contact us online and ask about anything that you are still unsure about. You can also learn more about our programs and support networks through our website.